Welcome to the 5 minute face. Yes, you can apply makeup within five, tiny minutes and achieve a polished and pretty look. And all you need to have---are 5 beauty items. So stop screaming that you don't have even 5 minutes to waste. Help is on the way.
1. Foundation. Yes, we all need a little, unless your complexion is just about perfect. That means zero undereye circles, zero uneven pigment, zero zits, zero lines and wrinkles, etc. Our makeup legend friend, Sandy Linter, says that we all need some coverage for those reasons. And Sandy says that foundations usually offer some amount of SPF, so you are protecting your skin from the elements when you wear foundation, be it liquid, cream, powder, or mineral.
Try: Revlon ColorStay Makeup with SoftFlex ($12.99) ColorStay comes in 12 shades and in Normal/Dry or Combination/Oily. Halle Berry is said to be a big fan of ColorStay Makeup. Okay, she is a spokesmodel for Revlon, but I believe her.
2. Eyeshadow. We could all benefit from a little color on the eyes, especially when it's classic and pretty. Go for a neutral shade and apply all over the lid.
Try: Nars Cream Single Eyeshadow in Paper Tiger (Toffee, $21). This is a nice, soft, brown-beige shade and complements most eye colors. A long-lasting cream to powder formula.
3. Mascara. Need we say more? Mascara is probably one of the more important beauty items to always include in your makeup plan on a daily basis. Why? Simply put, mascara opens up the eyes. You don't have to put on 30 coats. Just a couple and you will see the difference that long lashes and wide eyes can make.
Try: CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Blaster Mascara ($7.99) This mascara is a great lash-plumper and comes in 4 intensities: Black. Brown. Black Brown. Very Black.
4. Blush. Cheek color. According to Sandy Linter, it's THE most important cosmetic to use every day. "It shows off your bone structure and gives your face depth and warmth." Blush gives you a healthy glow. A sheer bronzer can also give you the same healthy look, but with more of a tan and can be swiped all over---forehead, nose, chin, and cheeks. Bronzers come in a big variety of hues. But remember to keep it sheer and not too dark.
Try: N.Y.C. New York Color-Color Wheel Mosaic Powder in Pink Cheek Glow ($4.99). These mosaic wheels come in 6 pretty palettes and give brightness to underlying skintone. Each wheel contains 4 shades, but when you apply to your face, the 4 combine into one color hue. An amazing beauty item at a great price.
5. Lipstick/Gloss. The finishing touch. You don't need to waste time lining your lips. And if you can't be bothered with lipstick, a gloss is very quick to apply to your lips. Lip color comes in so many, many colors. You can go neutral, light, or stay in the pink family for a classic look.
Try: Prescriptives Rain Gloss in Watery Melon ( $18.50). A soft, sheer pink coral shade. Light and healthy, not a heavy gloss. Lips look 'dewy,' as the Prescriptives people say.
There, you're gorgeous in 5 minutes!