Saturday, January 7, 2012
DASH Named The Best In 2012...And We Ain't Talking Kardashians
DASH has been named The BEST, for the 2nd year in a row.
And no, we are NOT referring to the KARDASIANS this time around.
We're talking about The BEST diet plan by US News & World Report, which conducted the research for BEST overall diet around.
DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.
And it's a weight loss plan that should appeal to many people, because it features lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. And it's physician-recommended and approved by these prominent organizations:
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (one of the National Institutes of Health, of the US Department of Health and Human Services)
The American Heart Association (AHA)
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
US guidelines for treatment of high blood pressure
The 2011 AHA Treatment Guidelines for Women
The Mayo Clinic
The DASH diet appears to be a very well-balanced plan that can be designed around the entire family. Just look at the DASH diet tips we found at their website:
1. Use grocery store salad bars for lots of cut up fresh vegetables.
2. Frozen vegetables make it easy to add 2 or more servings of veggies to your meal.
3. Double up on veggies. A serving is 1/2 cup, so a full cup makes 2 servings.
4. Berry-licious is having fresh berries on your cereal.
5. Nonfat fruit yogurt, artificially sweetened, makes a wonderful snack or quick breakfast.
6. All nuts are heart healthy. Making yours salt-free boosts their DASH benefits.
7. Some convenience foods make your DASH diet great. Look for bagged ready-to-eat cut up veggies, like baby carrots, broccoli sprigs, lettuce, cabbage slaw, broccoli slaw, cauliflower tops, etc.
8. Make your plate colorful. Add 1 - 2 cooked vegetables and a side salad with more than just greens.
9. Make your coffee a latte with 8 ounces of skim milk.
10. Smoothies made with skim milk, fresh fruit, and no added sugar make a fast way to maximize the DASH potential of your diet.
If you have a few pounds to drop and are looking for a solid diet that's big on results in a healthy way, then consider trying the DASH diet plan.
For more information, click DASH.